We all know April showers bring May flowers – and March brings spring cleaning to the mind! It's time to bust out the vacuum, dusters, and sponges after a long winter. Taking time to tidy up helps to to revive, reorganize, and allow the fresh air to cruise into your home – for a nice crisp feeling that makes the area feel more welcoming!
Make this year's cleaning a breeze with 21 of our helpful spring cleaning tips so you can have your home feeling fresh, and get back to creating those bright springtime memories with your family!
1) To kick off your spring cleaning list, target needy areas like high-traffic zones and stains that have been bugging you forever.
2) Clean your blinds with a 50-50 white vinegar and water mixture and an old sock.
3) Use your hairdryer to remove water rings from wooden surfaces and refresh them with olive oil.
4) Clean fan blades with an old pillow case. Use one side to slide onto the blades of your ceiling fans, and then wipe the blades off inside the case.
5) To freshen and sanitize your sponges, put a wet sponge in the microwave for 2 minutes to ensure the germs are gone. Researchers report this kills 99% of germs!
6) Use a wire hanger and lysol wipe to easily clean your oven mirror.
7) Use ammonia and this helpful tutorial to get your stove burners looking brand new.
8) To freshen and clean your microwave, use lemons. Cut one in half, put the pieces in a microwave-safe bowl with water to cover, and cook on High for two to three minutes. The steam will soften hardened food inside the oven while you enjoy the citrus scent. Then grate the fruit in the garbage disposal to eliminate any musty odor and greasy gunk.
9) To clean your refrigerator without harsh products use a combination of salt and soda water. The bubbling action of the soda water combines with the abrasive texture of the salt to make a great cleaner.
10) Clean windows with a mixture of two parts water to one part white distilled vinegar for a streak-free finish on windows and glass surfaces. Wipe the inside of windows from side to side, and the outside of windows from top to bottom. This makes it easier to see which side (if any) needs further cleaning. If your windows are still appearing streaky, try this alternative: buy a squeegee from an auto-parts store for spotless windows.
11) If drapes are looking drab, take them out of the window, remove the hooks and run them through the air-fluff cycle in the dryer along with a wet towel (to draw off the dust) for 15 minutes. Hang them back in the windows immediately.
12) Sometimes comforters, blankets and pillows don't need to be cleaned, but they do need to be aired out after a long winter in your closed-up home. Take them outside and hang them on a clothesline for a day.
13) Check out our blog to see how to clean a microfiber sofa in 3 easy steps. All you will need is a wash cloth, rubbing alcohol, and an empty spray bottle.
While some sofas can be cleaned up and made to look brand new, if those stains just aren't coming out, the fabric is torn, frame is sagging or the cushions or springs have lost their support, it's probably time to replace your sofa or sectional. Explore our selection of name brand couches at the lowest price guaranteed at your local FFO Home, today!
14) For a quick and effective clean on any material sofa, hit every inch of the frame and the cushions with a hand vacuum. Swipe the sofa clean to finish.
15) Go through the pantry, refrigerator, and freezer for foods that are past their expiration dates or items you know you'll never use. For unopened can and jar foods that are still good, consider donating them to your local shelter.
16) Scrub tub grout with a toothbrush and a simple solution of ½ cup chlorine bleach diluted in a gallon of water . Test out on a small area of grout first.
17) Freshen up your furniture by sprinkling baking soda on and letting it sit for about 15 minutes and then vacuuming it up.
18) Use your child's bedtime as clean time for the bathroom.While the kids are washing up at night, wipe down the tub, toilet and mirrors, and toss out clutter. When they're finished, quickly wipe down the sink and floor.
19) How to clean easily clean your mattress. Remove all bedding from the mattress and run a vacuum with the upholstery brush attached and run it along the top and sides of the mattress to remove dust, skin flakes and dust mites. You can also use an upholster cleaning product to gently rub out stains and give your mattress a fresh scent!
While some mattresses can be good as new after a quick clean, sleep specialists recommend replacing your mattress every 5-10 years. If you are waking up with aches and pains, or not sleeping as well as you used to – an outdated mattress might be your problem. Proper support from your mattress is key to a good night's sleep, instead of giving it a quick clean, shop our selection of affordable and top quality mattresses.
20) Keep your bathroom cleaner, longer by using a liquid soup that comes from a container instead of bar soaps that sit on the counter and give it a grimy appearance.
21) Looking to quickly tidy up in minutes? Pile magazines or books into neat stacks on the end tables and gathering stray remotes in one place. Then, plump up throw pillows and flip chair cushions.
What are your favorite spring cleaning tips? Share them with us on Facebook or Twitter using the hashtag #FFOHOMEATHOME for a chance to win a $50 giftcard!