We conclude our three-part study of feng shui in the dining room. This is one room where using the principles of feng shui can make a huge difference, turning your dining room into a place of positive interactions, conducive to sharing. The dining table is where people gather, socialize, and enjoy each other’s company, so you want the energy to be one of cooperation and calm. Consider these guidelines when incorporating feng shui into your dining room.
- Clear your dining room of things that don’t belong. Often, dining rooms become dumping grounds for paper, laundry, children’s toys, and anything else that seems to be looking for a home. Clutter restricts the Qi energy of a space. Qi, the Chinese term for life energy, is a vital force flowing through all living things, and when it’s blocked, creates disharmony and negativity. In your dining room, you want energy to flow freely, making the room feel inviting, comfortable, and harmonious.
- Choose the right table. Your dining table should be large enough to provide space for everyone, with an even number of chairs around it. A square or rectangular table is ok, as long as it isn’t an odd shape, like a hexagon. Go for a solid, wooden table instead of glass, because glass-top tables bring nervous energy to your dining room.
- Place it with care. The dining table should never be against a wall, under a beam, or between two entry points. It should be situated in such a way that no one’s back is towards a door or window.
- Put the right things on top of it. Never use cracked or chipped dishes; choose dishware in plain colors and simple shapes to promote calming energy. When the table is not set for a meal, keep something on top of it, whether a round bowl of fruit, or a display of fresh, silk, paper, or plastic flowers. Do not use dried flowers, because they represent decay.
- Carefully choose color. Your dining room should be a pleasant, relaxing space, with more yin than yang. Pastel and neutral colors are best, and for large areas, use a single color. Highly patterned wallpaper is a poor choice for a dining room, but you can use ornaments and artwork to bring in splashes of color. Even the rug under the dining table should be carefully chosen to create a harmonious feeling.
- Incorporate natural elements. As in the living room, incorporate natural elements. A wooden table is a good start but having a water feature in the dining room is also fortuitous. This could be a fountain, or even an aquarium, because goldfish symbolize good luck.
- Give it lucky energy. The dining room should be loaded with luck. Keep some large plants with soft leaves near the table, along with pictures that bring feelings of pleasure and abundance. Keep electronics out of the dining room, and remove clocks, which are reminders of time passing. Lighting should be soft and calming, so dimmer switches are a good idea. Mirrors are good in a dining room as long as they don’t reflect a kitchen or bathroom. Be polite and gentle during meals.
If you’re ready to use Feng Shui and make your whole home into a relaxing oasis of calm, FFO Home is the place to go to find everything necessary to bring balance and enhance energy flow. With FFO Home’s great deals on furniture and décor, you don’t have to spend a fortune to find gorgeous, high-quality pieces that will perfectly meet your needs. Visit our website to contact us and see our ideas for comfortable, stylish pieces that are also affordable, or call 800-635-8001 today to find a location near you.