Is it time to downsize? Maybe you’re ready for a more minimalistic lifestyle, or maybe you’ve just decided it’s more practical to live in a smaller space. Whatever your reason, you’ll need to have a strategy. The secret is to pare down your belongings, keeping only what you need to make the décor in your new home impactful.
Paring down your belongings may not be as simple as it sounds. However, with a few helpful tips, you can efficiently downsize your stuff and make living in a smaller space easier.
- Get rid of the furniture you’re not going to need. This may sound obvious but consider this: sometimes you may have the same number of rooms, but smaller space. In that case, the furniture you have is not going to be the furniture you’ll need in the new place. Take some measurements to make sure you’re not moving anything that’s not going to work for you.
- Be selective about what you give away. When people are in a rush to downsize, they sometimes make the mistake of giving away things they later realize they actually needed. Take your time, going through every box and cabinet, and determine which things you really could live without, being careful not to give away things you use regularly. Hang on to things you use seasonally, and things that you may not use regularly but that have a practical purpose or sentimental value, at least for now. You did not accumulate things overnight, so it’s wise to realize that you won’t be able to effectively get rid of them in a rush. When you do get rid of things, think about who would use them so you can feel good about where your things are going.
- Be just as selective about what you keep. If you haven’t used it in a year, you probably don’t need it. Of course, there are exceptions to this rule, like high-dollar items or things that are special to you, but it’s a good place to start. Don’t accumulate things to pass down to your grandchildren, for instance, except for very special things. Most people want to choose their own furniture, knick-knacks, and baby clothes, so it’s pointless to clutter up your life with things that may not even be wanted down the road. Make sure there’s a clear reason for each object you keep.
- Put a system in place to prevent re-accumulation. Be very selective about what you bring into your new home; make it a rule that for everything that comes into the house, something must go out.
Once you’ve reduced your clutter, there are a few things you can do to make your new home’s décor more impactful.
- Use optical illusion to your advantage. Want a room to seem larger? Paint it white or use mirrors to make it seem like it goes on further than it actually does. Want the ceiling to seem higher? Hang artwork above eye level and hang your curtains above the window frames.
- Be purposeful with your space. Decide on a floor plan that works for you, and then arrange your furniture to designate each section’s use. Think of your furniture arrangement in terms of vignettes and consider using color to differentiate each area.
- Choose multifunctional furniture. You’ll save space if some of your furniture can pull double duty. A daybed or futon that tucks into a nook can work as seating or sleeping space for guests, and a storage ottoman is a great place to quickly tuck away clutter. Hidden storage is always a boon, whether it’s a box under the couch, a bed with built-in storage, or decorative baskets that blend into your décor.
- Keep your color scheme consistent. While your accent colors can differ from area to area, choosing one color to serve as the main color can help create a cohesive feel in your home. When you choose furniture pieces in hues that complement each other, the whole space will feel larger.
- Use art to make an impact. Choosing a large-scale piece of art as the focal point of your room is a great way to create a more spacious feel. It’s also an opportunity to showcase your aesthetic and make your home your own.
No matter how large or small your home may be, FFO Home wants to help you outfit it in style. With FFO Home’s great deals on furniture and decor, you don’t have to spend a fortune to find beautiful pieces that perfectly suit your style. Visit our website to contact us and see our ideas for comfortable, stylish pieces that are also affordable, or call 800-635-8001 today to find a location near you.