Have you just moved into a new house with roommates or a significant other? Maybe you’ve seen some examples of homes where different styles are used to create a unique, interesting look. Then, when you try the same thing at home, the house just looks like a disorganized jumble! How do the pros make it look so effortless? And how can you achieve that eclectic look without ending up with a mess? We have some tips that can help.
- Relax! Understand that everyone mixes styles a little bit. There’s no “pure” decorating style. In fact, trying to stick to just one style can leave you with décor that’s too “matchy-matchy” and boring. What’s important is to find elements that speak to you and then create a cohesive look out of contrasting styles.
- Keep your colors simple. Using contrasting colors is one of the easiest ways to mix it up when you’re decorating a room. It’s important, though, to limit your palette. Using a complementary color scheme, choosing two shades on opposite ends of the color spectrum, creates major impact, but working with too many colors can make your décor seem disconnected and jarring. Choose one dominant color, then select a few other colors that speak to you. Repeat the same colors throughout the space for a unified feel. You might use one color for the walls, then distribute the other colors around the room in furniture, textiles, and accessories. The colors don’t have to be outlandish to create a contrasting look; using a variety of neutrals works, too.
- You can also keep the color consistent and mix up your styles. Do you want to use traditional and modern furniture in the same room? One way to successfully do this is to use pieces from different eras or styles but keep them in the same color. When you’re mixing pieces this way, make sure to pay attention to scale and distribution. You don’t want some pieces to dwarf others, because you want your room to be visually balanced. As to distribution, a room with one style on one side and a different style on the other will look awkward. Scatter pieces throughout the room, to make it feel more like one complete space.
- Texture is another place where you can accentuate contrasting looks and feels. The play of rough and smooth against each other can make a room visually interesting. Consider rough textiles paired with smooth furnishings, natural materials like wood and stone against metals like chrome and steel, or even just patterned fabrics mixed with solids.
- Use shape to create the look you want. You might choose contrasting colors but stick with furniture in matching shapes. In that case, you might have everything curved and fluid or everything angular and sharp. On the other hand, if you’re going with a more muted colors and simple textures, you can play around with shape. Just make sure that each piece has at least one companion piece, so that nothing looks out of place.
- If you have one unique piece you’d like to showcase, make that your focal point. While you don’t want anything sticking out like a sore thumb, you can find ways to draw attention to one interesting piece. Play it up with colorful accessories or a statement rug. If you’ve got a few interesting pieces you’d like to showcase, you might consider creating the overall look of the room using basic pieces in solid colors. With a clean, neutral look as its foundation, your room can be the perfect place to show off your more stylized pieces.
- Choose some pieces that play both sides. Using décor from two different eras? Choose a few pieces that look like they’d be at home in either one. You might choose a piece that walks the line between traditional and modern or reupholster an antique in a modern fabric or pattern.
- Find a theme to unify the space. Keep the level of formality the same, even if the pieces have different styles. Carry a shape or motif throughout the space or repeat a pattern to tie everything together. Keep your wood tones consistent throughout the room, or subtly use a unifying theme, like coastal or rustic, to help all of the room’s elements make sense together
No matter what your decorating style may be, FFO Home is the place to go to find everything you need. With FFO Home’s great deals on furniture and decor, you don’t have to spend a fortune to find gorgeous, high-quality pieces that will perfectly suit everyone’s style. Visit our website to contact us and see our ideas for comfortable, stylish pieces that are also affordable, or call 800-635-8001 today to find a location near you.