So you’ve purchased a new home- congratulations! Buying a home is a liberating experience, and a great excuse to upgrade your décor. It’s time to move beyond your old things, working toward establishing a decorating scheme that reflects your aesthetic sensibilities and makes your new home a welcoming place to entertain and relax. When you’re looking at a new home as an empty canvas, though, the thought can be overwhelming. Where do you begin?
- First, weed out your old things. Even before you move to the new place, begin culling your possessions, setting a goal of getting rid of 25 to 50 percent of your old stuff to make way for new things. Anything that’s broken is a great place to start, but be ruthless: don’t keep things you don’t use, don’t need, or don’t love. Hold a garage sale, sell things on eBay, donate them to charity, or just throw them away, and you’ll probably discover that you don’t even miss those things. Keep only the things that you love and can picture in your new place.
- Don’t try to furnish your whole house at once. You might want to start by making your bedroom a place of luxury and comfort, buying new, high-quality bedding, and painting the walls a color that makes you feel peaceful and happy. Choose the perfect window treatments and if you’ve got the budget, consider a new bed. Then after you’ve lived in the house for a few months, start choosing pieces to fill the other rooms. Think about the pieces you already have, and make a list of what you need to furnish your home, then rank them in order of priority before you begin to shop.
- Don’t go all matchy-matchy. Yes, the furniture stores have rooms full of furniture that’s all the same pattern, but do you really want your home to look like a furniture showroom? Take your time, finding pieces that fit your personal style, paying special attention to proportion, scale, and balance. Invest in high-quality pieces and rather than matching everything, tie it all together with color.
- Focus on how you want your living areas to function. Are you trying to create a formal parlor, or would you rather have a cozy space where the whole family can gather comfortably? Is your home designed with a great room, where the kitchen, living, and dining room are essentially all one space, or are the rooms more compartmentalized? Create a focal point in each of your living areas, and determine where you’ll create conversation areas. Then choose furniture that will help each space to function as you want it to before moving on to details like rugs, art, and accessories.
- Choose furniture that you’ll enjoy for years. When you’re buying a sofa, for instance, take your time and shop around, trying out sofas to determine which you find most comfortable. Invest in furniture that’s solidly made, and pick upholstery based on your lifestyle. If you have kids or pets, you’ll need sturdier fabric than if you’ll only be entertaining adults. With each piece of furniture you choose, pay close attention to proportion. You want each piece of furniture to not only fit in the room but also complement its other elements.
- Don’t be afraid to buy secondhand furniture. In fact, this is a great way to buy high-quality items that might not otherwise fit into your budget. Visit thrift shops and consignment stores in your area regularly, check Craigslist and other for-sale sites, and pay attention to yard sales and flea markets. Do your research and know what you’re looking for, and make sure to thoroughly inspect secondhand items before bringing them home. Any pieces that don’t have all necessary parts, are wobbly or otherwise structurally compromised, or are not clean should not come home with you. It also pays to haunt the furniture stores in your neighborhood, checking their everyday prices and paying close attention to sales.
When you’re ready to find the best prices on everything you need to decorate your new home, FFO Home is the place to go to outfit it beautifully. With FFO Home’s great deals on furniture and decor, you don’t have to spend a fortune to find gorgeous, high-quality pieces that will perfectly suit your style. Visit our website to contact us and see our ideas for comfortable, stylish pieces that are also affordable, or call 800-635-8001 today to find a location near you.