When you’re decorating your home, it can be difficult to find an anchor for your room. Sometimes it’s a piece of art or an architectural feature you want to showcase, or your focal point may be a piece of furniture you really like. In some rooms, though, you may find yourself at a loss. In those cases, have you ever considered styling the room around a rug? Rugs can make a statement, tie a room together, or bring definition to a space.
- The first step in styling a room using a rug is to measure your space. The perfect rug will be neither too big nor too small: it should be scaled to complement your furniture. It should be big enough to fit the furniture that needs to be positioned on it, yet should be small enough that it leaves a gap of at least a foot from each wall. Use masking tape to create a visual representation of the edges of the rug size you’re considering, to give you a solid idea of how it will fit.
- Decide on your aesthetic. Do you want a patterned rug or solid? Colorful or neutral? Is your style more traditional or modern? Do you want something cool and peaceful, or tropical and vibrant? Do you want a softly weathered rug in a natural hue, or a bold black and white rug? While you’re looking at colors and patterns, remember to think about texture as well. There are so many different styles of rugs on the market, it’s easy to find one that suits your sensibilities.
- Frame your space with your rug. One very useful purpose a rug can serve is to define the space within a large room. In a great room, for instance, rugs can help create clear living and dining spaces. You can also use rugs to create traffic patterns, pull two rooms together visually, or make sitting areas more cohesive.
- Match your rug to the room’s accent colors. It’s important to keep the colors in your interior décor cohesive, and a good way to do this is to pick up a couple of your accent colors in the rug you choose. If you’ve got more than one rug in a room, they don’t have to match exactly but should be of a similar color palette. Sometimes it works to choose rugs in similar colors but with different textures. If you’re really adventurous, you might even try combining different patterns. An easier option, however, is to mix a pattern with solid colored rugs, taking care to make sure everything is from the same color family and all the colors work well together. If you want to use more than one oriental rug, you don’t have to choose identical patterns as long as they have the same dominant color.
- Anchor the rug with your furniture. If you have two sofas, a rug should be placed evenly between them. A good rule of them is to have all of the furniture on the rug. It’s fine to position larger pieces with their back legs on the floor, but the smaller pieces should be solidly on the rug. For use in a dining room, look for a rug that is large enough to allow the table and all chairs to rest on it, with the chair legs remaining on the rug even if they’re pulled out from the table.
- Consider comfort. Look for a rug that feels good under your feet, but think about other factors as well. Do you plan to sit on the rug? Will children be playing on it? Think of all the ways people will experience the feel of the rug besides just walking on it.
- Find a rug that fits your lifestyle. Do you have kids? How about pets? Is the rug going into a room that’s more decorative than functional, or will it get a lot of foot traffic? Determine how durable you need the rug to be before you start to shop. You will want a rug that’s easy to maintain and will last for many years.
- Play with rug shape. Rectangle or square rooms are common, and they’re wonderful for defining spaces. However, round rugs have benefits as well. A circular or oval rug can soften a room, and you don’t have to be as careful about proportions. If you want to make a bold statement with your rug, consider something with a unique shape, whether you’re looking for something geometric, artistic, abstract, or fun.
When you’re ready to redecorate your home, FFO Homes wants to help you outfit it in style. With FFO Home’s great deals on furniture and decor, you don’t have to spend a fortune to find beautiful pieces that perfectly suit your style. Visit our website to contact us and see our ideas for comfortable, stylish pieces that are also affordable, or call 800-635-8001 today to find a location near you.