Are you satisfied with the way your home is decorated? Even if you are ready to make some changes, you may not be sure where to start or how to come up with a fresh design. Not to worry! We’ve got some tips to help you decorate your home like a pro, without having to work an interior designer into your budget.
- First, determine the purpose of each room. Especially in spaces like a great room, it can be tricky to decide how to best make use of your square footage. Think about how you want each room to function. For example, you should decide whether a room will be used for entertaining on special occasions, or for hanging out with the family every day. Consider the needs of the people who will use the room most. If you anticipate that children will play there, decorate it with sturdy fabrics and plenty of out of the way storage. If it’s going to be a primarily adult space, more elegant furnishings and fabrics may be appropriate. Knowing how a room will be used and who will be using it will go a long way toward informing your design choices.
- Do some brainstorming and make a plan. Visit a furniture store, look through design magazines, peruse Pinterest, and browse paint and fabric samples to get ideas. Before you ever make a purchase, compile a list of ideas so that you can start finding your personal style. Write down key measurements and begin a shopping list of items you want to include in your design. Collect fabric swatches, flooring samples, and paint chips, and jot down ideas while keeping an open mind.
- Embrace online design. Sites like Plan Your Room and Room Sketcher can be extremely helpful, allowing you to visualize how your rooms will look without actually having to physically drag furniture around the house.
- Find your focal points. What catches your eye when you enter the room? Some rooms will already have focal points built-in, like a fireplace or an interesting architectural feature. In other rooms, you might choose a striking piece of artwork or a signature piece of furniture. Once you’ve determined the focus, it can inspire the décor for the rest of the room. Note: A room can have more than one focal point, as long as it’s balanced.
- Prioritize a sense of balance. Balance doesn’t necessarily mean symmetry: it’s actually better if everything doesn’t match exactly. What’s important is a feeling of stability in each room, where bold pieces are balanced with more subtle elements and nothing feels cluttered or cramped. Remember to build negative space into your design, allowing your furniture room to breathe, and vary the heights of pieces in a room, for visual interest.
- Mind the scale. If the furniture is too large or too small for the room, it will ruin the look. This is one area in which the measurements you’ve taken and the online blueprints can help you make wise choices.
- Make good use of color. Don’t use just one color in a room or make one side of the room more color-heavy than the other. Instead, choose two to three colors for your palette, and spread these colors evenly throughout your décor. Strive to create a space that is harmonious but features interesting points of contrast. As you’re choosing colors, be mindful of how your rooms connect, so that you can maintain continuity as you transition from one room to the next.
- Keep trendy pieces to a minimum. Unless you plan to redecorate every couple of years, keep your larger, more expensive pieces of furniture classically neutral. That way, you can easily accessorize with trendy colors and patterns, or refresh your paint for a new look.
- Make it your own. Sure, you can walk into a furniture store and choose an entire roomful of furniture that goes together. It’s better, though, to collect pieces one by one, so that the décor better reflects your style. Consider both form and function as you shop so that the pieces you choose will serve you well for many years. Don’t shy away from personal touches like family photos, treasured books or knick-knacks, or original artwork that speaks to you. The best spaces are the ones that feel like they’re uniquely yours.
When you’re ready to redecorate your home, FFO Home wants to help you outfit it in style. With FFO Home’s great deals on furniture, you don’t have to spend a fortune to decorate your home exactly the way you want it. Visit our website to contact us and see our ideas for comfortable, stylish pieces that are also affordable, or call 800-635-8001 today to find a location near you.